Your transmission helps your engine send power to your wheels by automatically changing gears and controlling the forward momentum of your vehicle during your travels in the Avon, Indianapolis, and Plainfield areas.
At Andy Mohr Kia, we know how important your vehicle is and we’re using this handy guide as a reference for you to learn more about why your transmission may be acting a certain way. Preventative maintenance is the best way to sustain your transmission’s longevity and we can help with that too.
- How Do I Know If There’s a Problem with My Transmission?
- When your transmission starts to go bad, this will be referred to as slipping. A transmission that slips will shift at odd times or not at all and this is a good indication that something may be wrong. You may also notice that shifting has gotten quite a bit rougher or even that it’s taking a longer time to reach a specific gear. You’ll also want to ensure that you’re not seeing the transmission light in your vehicle or any fluid leaking from your vehicle.
- Is a Transmission Problem Always Serious?
- While we recommend that any transmission issue be checked out by a professional, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your transmission will require extensive repairs or replacement. Minor issues can present with your transmission that will require a bit of work on our part but won’t be as serious as replacing the entire thing. These issues could be caused by something as simple as bad fluids or low levels.
- How Often Do I Need to Replace My Transmission Fluid?
- This will depend largely on two factors; your manufacturer’s recommendations and your transmission type. Automatic transmissions work a bit harder than that of a manual, so your transmission fluid has more heat exposure, thus giving it the potential to become thicker faster. You may find that your manufacturer has no specific recommendations about the replacement of your transmission fluid, but most technicians recommend between 30,000 and 45,000 miles.
- Repair or Replace?
- Depending on the severity of your issue, we may be able to simply repair your transmission, but these repairs can get a bit costly. Many service technicians can make these repairs, but the question of replacement of your transmission will come up during the consultation. The replacement of your transmission will allow for you to get the fixes you need, as well as a warranty on those parts. In some cases, replacement may be the less pricey option.
Schedule Your Service Today
If you’re nodding your head while reading through this guide, then chances are that you may be having some transmission issues, and we can help. At Andy Mohr Kia, our team of professional service technicians can take a look at your vehicle, diagnose any issues, and handle the repairs to your transmission and every other part of your car. Give us a call or schedule an appointment from the comfort of your own home in the Avon, Indianapolis, or Plainfield areas via our convenient online scheduling system.